(n.) the process of developing or maturing physically, mentally, or spiritually

Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

Between orientation and the beginning of school, I seriously had nothing to do, especially since my roommate was gone for the day. I did laundry and watched snippets of the football game, went over to my friend's dorm across campus, and went to eat dinner. I sat by some girls that I recognized from the laundry room and we ended up going to the soccer game together! Some of Hannah's (my roommate) friends caught up with me at the game. And OF COURSE we won against Nebraska.


After the game, some of my friends and went bowling and to a party! The party was fun, and they even had those inflatable things they have at elementary school carnivals, and they are just as fun when you are in college vs. when you are in 3rd grade!!

Sunday was alright. I went to church in the morning, and it was really different because instead of having it in an actual church, each class was held in a classroom in a building on campus. In our church, where and when you go to church is determined by where you live. Each division is called a ward, and a cluster of wards is called a stake, and so on. Because there is such a high concentration here at BYU, there are a ton of wards. For example, I am in the 107th ward in the 8th stake. And that's only the ones on campus (mostly freshmen). Despite the fact that we were in classrooms and it was silent because there were no little kids talking to their parents or babies crying, I really enjoyed church. I liked being at church with people that are actually my age! After church my roommate left again and went to her aunt's house. Since I don't really do anything on Sundays, I ended up sitting in my room for a few hours and got a little homesick after taking my habitual Sunday nap. I decided to grab Jenga and go down into the lobby. People started staggering in looking for something to do and I made a bunch of new friends! We made it to 26 stories high, which I have never personally seen happen. Later that night we had a ward social and I met so many cool people, even someone from Zimbabwe! 



Monday was pretty boring because it was Labor Day and so everything was closed. Everyone slept in and took their time getting ready. Some of us decided to go geocaching, and went searching for the cache nearest our dorm. Unfortunately, we couldn't find it! We are definitely going again! 
In the evening, we had a ward social and again I met more people! I can't wait to get to know them all better. Towards the end of the social it started sprinkling so people started leaving. No more than 5 minutes later, we were in a complete downpour and still on literally the opposite side of campus from our dorms! We all ended up running all the way home in the pouring rain. In the end we were soaked and laughing! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archive

Powered by Blogger.